What would you do if you were infected with the COVID virus? Is there anything you can do to avoid going to the hospital? Is there something you can do at home? Is there something you can do before you are infected?
Hospitals are taking patients only if there is an emergency. What can you do if you have symptoms of fever, dry cough, and shortness of breath?
The following has been recommended by physical therapists.
1. Always consult with your doctor about the best choices and practices for you.
2. High fevers reaching 103-104 are dangerous. To lower your fever, use Tylenol, Advil, or Motrin. Use a cold compress on your head if needed.
3. Many people end up in the hospital because of complications that result from dehydration. A high fever and loss of appetite can cause you to dehydrate. To stay hydrated, drink plenty of water. Drink enough water to keep your urine clear-colored. Gatorade or Pedialyte? with real sugar for kids will provide the fluids, electrolytes, and energy your body needs. If you are diabetic, use sugar-free drinks.
4. The virus attacks your lungs and makes breathing difficult. To help keep your lung airways conditioned and opened, practice deep breathing exercises. Breathe deeply through your nose, hold it a couple seconds, then blow the air out through your mouth like blowing a candle. Blow into a towel to add resistance to breathing out. The resistance will help to open your airways more.
5. The narrowing of your airways makes breathing difficult. To breathe more easily inhale mint in steamy tea and use Vicks vapor rub.
6. Congestion can lead to pneumonia. To help keep your lungs clear, keep them moist by doing deep breathing exercises in a steamy shower, and drink steamy water or tea.
7. To loosen mucus build-up in your lungs, clear your lungs using a controlled coughing technique. Take deep breaths, and then force the air out of your lungs quickly. Do this while lying on your left side, then on your right side. Also, if possible, ask someone to lightly pound on your back as you take deep breaths.
8. Maintain a healthy diet and exercise before and after you are sick.